[Noisebridge-discuss] Linux disk stress test & burn-in

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 02:35:30 UTC 2011

Drives do have bad spots. I have found a few on used drives at least.
One that hung to freeze the computer which I returned for exchange
Some more that I located the bad spot using SMART and formatted around it
(leave the bad spot in Free Space) and used for years after that. One more
that lasted for maybe 6 months - it seemed borderline worn out before but
the customer wanted to keep it, I said as long as he backed everything up

You can do the extended off line test with SMART:
smartctl -t long /dev/sdx

takes hours.

Another way just as time consuming get a wipe program of your choice that
writes zeroes to the entire drive,

either way afterwards check the SMART error logs: smartctl -a /dev/sdx
(at the bottom)

Brian