[Noisebridge-discuss] "Hackers, Makers and Teachers: A Hackerspace Primer (Part 1 of 2)"

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 21:09:46 UTC 2011

[cc'ing crashspace public list]

re:  the Hackerspace primer (part 1 of 2) at
http://andrewrschrock.wordpress.com/ and originally referenced on a recent
crashspace thread

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for posting that, Miloh.  Really good read.  I like the way he puts
> hackerspaces in social and historical context (and how he ends his post with
> our one rule).  I look forward to his Part 2 of 2.

yah, Andrew's post was a good read with nice surprise at the end. Thanks to
Crashspace for the link.  My old links the pdf for the design patterns talk
that the author cited died ('building a hackerspace', linked below), so it
was good to have it resurface right before CCC 2011.

Then there are the funny gaffes the author makes in characterizing
technologies like irc and static websites as 'old school' and underground.
Of course the story behind IRC & IM, email & forums, and the www and any
social-network domain residing on it is richer and more complex than a cast
off 'old school' / 'new school' comparison. I'm interested to read more
about how 'design pattern hackerspaces' (*see 2nd link below) spread
knowledge about some fundamental information technologies while promoting or
subverting contemporary analogs.

more links:

the oft-referenced 'building a hackerspace' aka 'hackerspace design
patterns' (which declares 'a dishwasher is the single most important piece
of hardware'!)
http://hackerspaces.org/images/8/8e/Hacker-Space-Design-Patterns.pdf

http://blog.hackerspaces.org/tag/design-patterns/  *really getting good
ideas for best practices from this site! so many additions to it over the
years that noisebridgers should keep up with..

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Oral_histories  *the crystallizing
importance of the 2007 CCC camp and the following 24C3 is outlined...

http://hackmeet.org/wiki/main-page  * wherein we will hackmeet at
Noisebridge in October of 2011 to discuss this dissemination of 'fundamental
information technologies' and 'subverting other contemporary analogs' that I
threw off above.

-rma