[Noisebridge-discuss] new soldering irons for Crucible?

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 00:02:33 UTC 2011

Well I don't have the experience Mitch has, but I have a few thoughts.

For years I used a cheap weller very similar to those $12 units linked in
the first post. You may already know this, but the difference between the
cheap ones and the nice ones is active temperature control. The cheap ones
just have the equivalent of a potentiometer to adjust how much current
they're running through the iron at all times. The nicer ones have a
temperature sensor somewhere near the tip and the electronics in the base
actively control the current in the iron to keep it at the right
temperature. When you're poking a large cold solder pad with a hot iron, the
pad will suck away a lot of heat from the iron, and the active temperature
control makes an enormous difference.

So one reason to get the better irons is that they make soldering much
easier (since the tip stays a more consistent temperature), which may very
well make teaching easier.

But will they last longer? I think so. For whatever reason, I can't even
solder with my old cheap weller anymore. Maybe it has "worn out" just like
yours have. I've tried replacing tips and it just sucks. And I didn't teach
a bunch of kids to solder on it.

On the other end, we have a few (actual) Hakko 936's and some nice Xytronic
models at work, and they are just excellent. We've had them for years and
rarely have to replace tips. We've never had to replace heating elements.

I also have an Aoyue combo hot air station and soldering iron, and they are
likely the manufacturer for Sparkfun's knockoff 936, as Aoyue sells a 936
knockoff for $40 under their own name as well. I've only had my unit for 6
months, but it has performed admirably. Even when I left the tip on
overnight.

So in the end, I'd suggest giving them a shot. If you've never used a real
temperature controlled soldering iron, you'll be blown away at how much
easier they are to solder with, which should help with teaching. And then I
can confirm that I have also witness the cheap units just quit working, but
I haven't witnessed that on the nicer ones, so I'd say its reasonable to
assume they'll work for, say, four times as long.

So I'd say give them a try. Since they are more expensive, maybe just by a
few and see how it goes.

Oh, and on the sponge/brass debate - I love brass because it doesn't dry
out. I could just keep a water bottle at my desk, but I'm too lazy for that.
-Taylor