[Noisebridge-discuss] Advisory about recent thefts at Noisebridge.

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Jul 10 19:05:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Gian Pablo Villamil
<gian.pablo at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I've pointed out before, NYC Resistor was also in a sketchy area, and
> implemented a far more doors-closed policy. The space was freely open only
> on Thursday evenings, aside from that it was members only.
> This policy did not seem to get in the way of people doing cool things, and
> it made the the people there feel a lot more safe.
> I've already had a couple of experiences at NB where... undesirable
> visitors... made it impossible for me to get work done.
> Perhaps we should have more of a vetting policy?
> My concern is that word seems to be spreading - fast - around the
> neighborhood about NB being a wide-open place with lots of goodies.

I somewhat agree. I've thought in the past what NB would be like a
members-only place, and I still think it could work. We could just be
really liberal about who we can make members.

I don't see any reason to cap membership at a certain size or put
mechanisms to slow growth in place. I'd much like to see some
mechanism to stop complete strangers (people that aren't friends,
friends-of-friends, etc.) be able to come in off of the street.

--j