[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus item for next week - Member- & Guest- Only Hours

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 16:18:24 UTC 2011

My use case for noisebridge:
I joined discuss first, to get a feel for the place before coming by in
person.

I started coming around to help rachel m and jonathan moore with a maker
faire project last year. They gave me a key.

I hacked the motherfucking planet. Miloh and I pulled many late nights
working on my very first arduino project, a wireless wearable mouse touchpad
made out of fabric. This was, everyone told me, a very ambitious first
project. I could not have done it without working all night for many nights
in the pressure cooker of 2am.  Neither miloh or I were members at the time.

Fast forward about 9 months. Someone that I was skeptical about was inducted
as a member. I decided if I cared so much I should be in a position to block
consensus.  I joined noisebridge.

I came to hack, without membership, and joined for the one priveledge that
membership affords.  Maybe this background makes me biased but I can say
with some certainty that if this rule had existed then I would not be as big
a part of the NB community today.  One of the big problems I have with using
techshop as a workspace is that you can't have guests.

To a person who works a day job, stopping work at midnight might seem
reasonable. Everyone has different schedules, though, and I think that late
nights are the easiest time to get uninterrupted work done.

The reason I became a member was to add my voice to noisebridge's evolution.
I believe this step would be in the wrong direction.  Our first rule is wise
and all-encompassing. It would be a shame to make a second rule that was
narrow-sighted and unenforceable.

mediumreality.com