[Noisebridge-discuss] [Tastebridge] Who threw away my Sauerkraut?

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Thu Jul 14 19:03:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Levi Maxwell <levisiah at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I had 2 finish quart sized jars of Kraut with a note that said "Don't
> Touch" above the Fridge and they are gone along with jars I was saving for
> Kraut making on Friday hidden on the bottom shelf of the food rack.
>
> Who approved and disregarded to tell me as well as the taste bridge mailing
> list of this mass clean up? 50$ down the drain and no kraut for vegan hack
> night [?]

Hey Levi,

That sucks. I imagine it was a big mistake (well, I'm finding it hard to
imagine a scenario of malicious sauerkraut elimination) -- there's been a
lot of traffic through the kitchen recently, and a lot of attempts by many
people to clean up the growing mess.

The question I have in these situations is how can we stop such a problem
from happening again. There's no  "approval" at NB -- people are going to do
stuff like do-acratically clean up without warning (that is how we clean
up), and mistakes like this are going to be made. I'm encouraging people to
use the kitchen, but not everybody who does so is on tastebridge or even on
the site more. If you do want to find out who did it, I'd ask around in the
kitchen as well as mail.

The working assumption in NB is that everything not on the NB member shelves
is open access; it's possible to alter that assumption, but it requires a
little more work than it may at first appear.

I have two suggestions, which you may have already followed, in which case I
apologise for my presumption -- I am aiming it more at others who might
worry about being in the same situation as you.

The first is to pro-actively post to the list saying that material is being
kept in the space, and ask people not to remove it. I'd suggest nb-discuss
as well as tastebridge, as you're trying to target people who clean, not
just people who cook. That is not perfect, because as I say not everyone
reads everything online, but it is a good way of spreading the news.

Secondly, writing "Don't touch" is almost certainly insufficient. If people
didn't throw out stuff that said "don't touch" on it, we'd be buried in
untouchable stuff by now. Write a date by which others can throw stuff out
by, and also a name and contact number.

I'd actually say that this is an important pattern for all signs in the
place. We had a pile of racks by the fridge taking up space for a long time,
but they had a phone number on them. Finally, someone called the number, and
they went away. If you put a sign up telling people to do something, leave
contact details so that somebody can discuss it with you.

Again, I'm not saying OMG YOU DID NOT FOLLOW MY
RETROACTIVE-AND-OTHERWISE-INVISIBLE-SUGGESTIONS-YOU-DESERVE-SAUERKRAUT-REMOVAL.
It's my failing that I never thought to make these ideas explicit to you or
even myself before now. I'm just trying to make sure that you're confident
when you next make something that it is not removed without notice.

Sorry again. Is there something I can do to help you get more jars, and
stuff? Sauerkraut sounds delicious.

d.