[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus item for next week - Member- & Guest- Only Hours

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:03:31 UTC 2011

Actually, this rule would be far more enforceable than our current
solution to the sleeper/hangout problem. It's much easier to close up
shop when 11pm or midnight rolls around than it is to come in at 6am
to rouse any sleepers and make them leave.

Of course we can't perfectly enforce anything, but I see this as a
much easier way to address this problem. If anything, "be excellent to
each other" is hard to enforce but that doesn't mean it's not a good
rule to adopt.

One valid problem with this proposal is that there are nonmembers who
would like to use the space, which is why I'd like to negotiate on the
time and also allow members to have guests. Also, it only takes four
weeks to pass our membership process, which I don't think is that long
to have to have a member present only at the times they're at the
space late at night. This also encourages people to become members
rather than just making use of the space, and also discourages people
who don't know current members to use the space as an indefinite
hangout.

-Al