[Noisebridge-discuss] Handy signs are handy.

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Fri Jul 29 17:02:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Al Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the efforts I want to do to make the space less intimidating to
> new people is to improve the signage around the space to make it more
> obvious what things are at NB, where those things are, and provide
> answers for "what is this thing?" (protip: If the thing is glowing
> and/or slimy, don't touch it.)
>
> A lot of the signs have been getting tagged up recently (if you have a
> problem or suggestion with the wording, feel free to email me
> privately or email the list), so to encourage preserving the signs,
> I'm going to donate $1 each day the signs go without being defaced or
> torn down. (If anyone can help with a part of that dollar, it'd be
> great. $365 a year adds up.)

Hey Al, I think Daravinne and Liz are already working on improving the
signing (as is somebody I don't know from taste bridge), you might
want to work with them on this. There's some talk about getting a
laminator as well.

I think the "tagging" comes from a general encouragement in the last
batch of signs to note changes or improvements, and I personally think
it's a good way to get direct commentary; though in general I also
think putting an email and contact on the signs is also good. Liz's
kitchen signs got taken down specifically because someone is working
on better versions of them, based on the written improvements. Our
signs are generally just not very good or clear (or just
overpowering), and I think requires more thought than simply
attempting not to deface or remove ones that aren't working.

d.