[Noisebridge-discuss] City of Berkeley explanation of why not using open source.. Open Source vs. "proprietary" software

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:41:59 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:18 AM,
<travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> I think he's saying:
>
> Code forks
> We depend on the fork
> fork goes commercial
> now we're stuck

Hint: the right to fork is recursive. So if Company N goes proprietary
(or belly-up), the code can always be picked up by Company N+1.

Open question: I have a small (5-100 person) business and cannot
afford a fulltime Linux support staff for IT, employee training, and
software customization. Is there a firm I can outsource this to which
will charge me per employee per year? Canonical?