[Noisebridge-discuss] Wednesday 6/22 @ 7:30pm: Support Vector Machines in R

Mike Schachter mike at mindmech.com
Tue Jun 21 16:01:08 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Just a gentle reminder that tomorrow we're having a
workshop on support vector machines in R, in the
Church classroom at 7:30pm. We'll go over some
topics like:

- Difference between a linear and nonlinear decision boundary
- What a margin is
- Feature space projections
- Kernels and the Kernel Trick
- Support vector machines, maximizing margins
- Regularization with C-SVMs and nu-SVMs
- Multi-class classification with SVMs

We'll be doing some hands-on stuff classifying handwritten
digits, and some fake data. We'll use the e1071 package:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/e1071/index.html

Ideally you'll come away from the workshop knowing how to
use SVMs in R. I'll try and post the slides and code before
we meet up tomorrow.

Thanks!

  mike