[Noisebridge-discuss] SVG + PNG = PDF?

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Jun 3 19:46:45 UTC 2011

Wladyslaw Zbikowski writes:

> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> > Again, it seems like ImageMagick rasterizes vectors before throwing them
> > into a PDF. I kind of don't want that to happen.
>
> That may be but remember in the digital world, everything eventually
> gets rasterized anyway.

That doesn't seem like an argument for not keeping or distributing
things in vector form.  The vector format files may be much smaller
than raster files and can be re-exported and modified as vectors.
Also, with the vector files you can target new applications that
weren't originally expected, like making a much larger printed
format than first anticipated.  I find it easy to believe Rubin that
there's some benefit in having files that are vectors all the way
down.

We can also observe that in the digital world, everything eventually
gets compiled.  But that doesn't mean that it's not worth having or
distributing the source code.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org>      |  No haiku patents
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/        |  means I've no incentive to