[Noisebridge-discuss] Help with Palm Tungsten E

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Jun 4 20:42:50 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:56:54AM -0700, Owen Pietrokowsky wrote:
> I just got a Palm Tungsten E. It has a slot for an SD card and it has

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Tungsten#Tungsten_E

It has 32 MB of RAM and a 126 MHz processor... pretty low powered by
today's standards.  At least it has an MMU, though:

http://palmtelinux.sourceforge.net/inside.shtml

> a micro USB connector. I'd like to get wifi and maybe load Linux on it
> (via SD card?). Any suggestions? Can I load a version of Ubuntu on
> Palm? Also, anyone have an extra SD card with or without Linux, or an
> extra cable for the USB? Thank you.

You'll have a hard time running a full Ubuntu install on such a
low-memory system.  You can probably get OpenEmbedded to install,
though.  Your first step is to figure out how to load a kernel off of
the SD card using some kind of bootloader.

-andy