[Noisebridge-discuss] Andriod / Arduino hacking anyone? -- Sunday, 3pm, at Noisebridge‏‏

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 07:17:37 UTC 2011

> Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 22:11:33 -0700
> Subject: Re: Andriod / Arduino hacking anyone? -- Sunday, 3pm, at Noisebridge‏‏
> From: drj at v.gg
> To: maltman23 at hotmail.com
> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net; liliakai at gmail.com; jake at spaz.org; rubin at starset.net; michael at michaelshiloh.com; tfullhart at google.com; rolfvw at gmail.com; waltsfo at gmail.com; rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com; tamayo at gmail.com; ydewit at gmail.com; froggytoad at gmail.com; neurofog at gmail.com; ion.simon.c at gmail.com; ian at mckellar.org; robwasab at gmail.com
>
> 2011/6/3 Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com>:
> > A couple of weeks ago Google announced the ability for Android to connect
> > with Arduino to be used as a cheap, easy-to-use hardware development
> > platform. Google then created ADK (Android Development Kit, based on
> > Arduino), which is not cheap -- but they gave a bunch away for free at the
> > Maker Faire last weekend.
> > http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/usb/adk.html
> > and
> > http://arduino.cc/blog/2011/05/10/google-launches-android-open-accessory-development-kit-based-on-arduino/
> >

> > Since most of us are relatively clueless on how to hack Android phones, or
> > how to connect them to Arduino to do cool things, a bunch of us are getting
> > together next Sunday to put our collective heads together to see how to make
> > it all work on our Android phones.
> >

> > It is likely that a Google employee and Android developer (or two) will be
> > joining us to help out. Maybe there will even be an ADK (or more) to be
> > given away.
>
> Will there be Android hardware compatible with the ADK to develop on?
>
> The docs say that the ADK is only compatible with Android devices
> running Android 3.1 or 2.3.4, which are kind of rare right now .
> Android 3.1 is so new that no hardware vendor has even shipped an
> officially supported build yet. In fact, I'm typing this at an event
> to promote the launch of the first Android 3.1 device, but the launch
> hasn't actually happened yet. The vast majority of phones you can get
> at the store run 2.2.
>
> I wanted to use my phone to display ADC output from an Arduino
> recently, and I just used a Bluetooth to TTL serial adapter like this
> one:
>
> http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_47&products_id=769
>
> They work fine for connecting an Arduino (or really, anything with a
> TTL UART) to all my other dev hardware with Bluetooth, Android or not.
> They cost $10-15 each. The one disadvantage is that you can't power
> the target hardware from the Android hardware's USB port. Other than
> that, it seems to be a better and cheaper fit for my development than
> what the ADK is offering.

I'm not sure I understand this Bluetooth-TTL transceiver.  Does it connect to your computer via an FTDI cable, and then your computer can communicate with a Bluetooth device (such as a phone)?

Info like this is some of what I'm hoping to get together when we put our collective heads together tomorrow.

I'm told that the latest Cyanogen is good for ADK.  And I'm hoping that is the case.

Robby has also gotten his Android to work with a regular Arduino, rather that with ADK.  I'd like to see how that works, too.

Mitch.