[Noisebridge-discuss] Andriod / Arduino hacking anyone? -- Sunday, 3pm, at Noisebridge‏‏

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Jun 5 19:22:25 UTC 2011

Hi all.

Mitch has twisted my arm to get me to give some sort of short talk on
how I rooted my HTC Desier Z (HTC Vision, T-Mobile G2) and got a current
build of Cyanogen running on it. The goal with this talk is to remove
the fog of fear around the notion of rooting, and to provide people with
a general direction on how to do it, where to get information, what not
to do. Don't expect slides.

This talk will involve:
* What is rooting
* The risks and benefits with rooting, voided warranties, stabler
builds, etc
* What are Android Stock, Cyanogen, Nightlies, Stable, Sense UI
* Android 2.x versus 3.x branches
* What to search for when seeking information on rooting your particular
device
* Talking a grain of salt with forum posts
* Some vocabulary and tools used
* The generalized steps with rooting and flashing with a current build
* How not to panic when you think you've bricked your device

I will NOT talk about:
* Exact steps to rooting your particular kind of device
* How to crazy mod/skin your device
* How to debrick your particular device
* Running Android 3.x

I don't know anything about Arduino, never touched it before, but would
like to learn. With that said I have yet to look at the ADK and only
really know of the Android 2.3.4 requirement, which the current Cyanogen
Nightlies are based off.

I'll leave it to the Google kids to talk about actually getting the ADK
running. :)

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net