[Noisebridge-discuss] Android question: I want to share, via wifi, my Internet connection. What's the best way to do this?

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 21:42:31 UTC 2011

Pardon the somewhat crappy explanation, but:
Rooting is a term that comes from the fact that the phone is based on Linux,
and there are some things that linux only allows a "root" user to do, for
security purposes. Normally, these phones come with root access disabled. If
you "root" the phone, you're enabling root access, which allows you to do
fancy things with the phone.

As a standard tech support thing though, you really should tell us what
phone you have. Rooting and installing other OS's varies a lot with the
specific model of phone you have.

Also, I highly suggest you at least go ahead and root, and if possible,
install Cyanogenmod. Its truly awesome, and well worth the time it takes to
set up.

If you want to, check Cyanogenmod.com for compatibility, and go to
XDA-Developers.com for support forums. There are also forums at
cyanogenmod.com, but I haven't used them so I can't say if they're good.
They probably are though.

-Taylor