[Noisebridge-discuss] Android question: I want to share, via wifi, my Internet connection. What's the best way to do this?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Jun 8 22:04:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Michael Shiloh
<michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation. I heard part of the talk on Sunday about
> Cyanogenmod and it seems the way to go.
>
> So Cyanogenmod is not rooting, it's something installed AFTER rooting.
>
> By the way, does Cyanogenmod mean anything, or is it the author's name or
> something like that?

Usually there is a "rooting" process involved in getting a more
flexible bootloader installed (to load alternative images), but it's
not strictly required to install Cyanogen Mod.
For example, I have an ADP1 which has a bootloader made by Google and
HTC that doesn't have any restrictions on what firmware you're allowed
to load.

Cyanogen is a project to distribute alternative firmware images. It
allows access to login as root by default in every version I've tried.
Some more information here:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=What_is_CyanogenMod

> It's just a funny expression. I'm a Unix/Linux user from way back, and know about root access. We've never called enabling root login "rooting".

Well, root logins are usually allowed, but the vendor images I've ever
dug into have had blank hashes for root, which PAM was blocking from
allowing authentication with.

Cheers,
jof