[Noisebridge-discuss] Theft at NoiseBridge

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:35:47 UTC 2011

> Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 00:35:01 -0700
> From: adi at hexapodia.org
> To: gnnrok at gmail.com
> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Theft at NoiseBridge
>
> Thank you for posting this!
>
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 11:36:58PM -0700, gnnr wrote:
> > I've witnessed two attempts at theft of items at noisebridge
> > this week.
>
> That sucks. :( I'm sorry you had to witness them, and I'm sorry those
> attempts happened.
>
> I'm not sure what the best response is -- we obviously don't want anyone
> to get hurt (well, maybe I do want the thieves to get hurt a little
> bit), but we also don't want shit to get stolen.
>
> Sigh.

A really good part of "security" at Noisebridge is to welcome everyone you see come into Noisebridge, as soon as you see them.

This not only makes people (people who we want at Noisebridge) feel welcome, but it let's people who we don't want at Noisebridge know that their activities are noticed.

When someone walks into Noisebridge who you don't recognize, please greet them.  Be friendly, and ask them if this is their first time here, and let them know what Noisebridge is about (in a couple of sentences -- such as (my way, but use your own): "We're a non-profit community space, where people can come to learn and teach and share what they love.  We have no leaders, and only one rule, 'Be excellent to each other,' and you are totally welcome here if you follow our one rule.").  If you have time, offer to show them around.

It takes a total sociopath (or someone having a psychotic episode) to steal stuff from people who are friendly to them, especially when they know that people are watching them (which they will know when they are greeted as soon as they walk in the door).  (And if they are having a psychotic episode, then they are most likely not trying to hide it, as with the guy trying to put Patrick's things in his bag.)

Mitch.