[Noisebridge-discuss] Theft at NoiseBridge

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Sun Jun 12 00:11:26 UTC 2011

Geek filter:

Noisebridge is a geek haven.  Ergo, we have a basic profile we all fit, and
that is people with technical aptitude.  Detecting non-geeks might help in
detecting unsavory types.

Geeks come in many shapes and sizes, so how do we profile for geeks?

Easy, we should make entry in to noisebridge require technical aptitude...or
at least...a simple process that ex-newbs can learn.

All people failing this test, as Mitch and others suggested, should get the
tourist treatment and be greeted warmly.

What test can we use?

>From now on, all people wishing to enter noisebridge should be expected to
use any method for entry BUT the door bell.  If someone uses the door bell,
it will then be safe to assume that they are new and, thus, should be given
an introduction.

This gives us a newbie alarm (*ding dong, damnit!*) and a reason to suspect
that someone is in need of a tour.

Worst case scenario, we are forced to talk to people we don't recognize as
ex-newb and engage them in conversation.

I think this is an unobtrusive way to step up security in a friendly way.