[Noisebridge-discuss] Wikimedia donating servers... offline-Wikipedia-reader-dispenser?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sun Jun 19 19:08:14 UTC 2011

* Dan Cote <terminationshok at gmail.com> [110619 10:29]:
> We should snag one. [...]
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/06/13/server-decommission-donations/

What I think would be really fun & useful is to get one of these
and purpose it towards building & maintaining an offline-Wikipedia
reader -- super handy for FAST searching without any need for a
net connection. By maintaining a current offline copy of Wikipedia
(and possibly other sites running on MediaWiki like Wikisource,
Wiktionary, Wikiquote, Wikibooks ... and of course our very own
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/ ) and mirroring that to a publicly
available machine (Pony?) at 2169, anyone who wanted to stop by with
a thumbdrive could grab a copy for themselves.

I set up this one on my laptop, text-only it required about 2.4 GB:

    http://www.tfiu.de/smallwp/

There are more of such tools out there:

    http://okawix.com/
    http://www.kiwix.org/    http://blog.wikiwix.com/en/
    http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/buildWikipediaOffline.html
    http://packages.python.org/wp-download/

Oh bummer... just read the donations page to see this:

    "At this time we have closed submissions. We have received well
    over 100 requests, and will not have enough servers to cover
    those, let alone more. Thanks for the submissions! ~ RobH @
    2011-06-18 @ 10:00 EST"

Well, I still think setting up an offline-Wikipedia-reader dispensing
machine at Noisebridge would be a cool benefit to provide the public.
Anyone else interested in participating in such a venture?

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact