[Noisebridge-discuss] Wikimedia donating servers... offline-Wikipedia-reader-dispenser?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Jun 20 03:17:50 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Parker <gameguy43 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any community mesh projects in SF or the mission specifically? A
> computer serving Wikipedia pages could be a cool contribution to such a
> project.

There have been several that I know of, but none have really taken off
with just anyone joining in. Some I can think of:

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/HInternet
http://www.archive.org/web/sflan.php
http://meraki.com/
http://meraki.com/press-releases/2008/06/11/meraki-extends-%E2%80%9Cfree-the-net%E2%80%9D-project-in-san-francisco-to-affordable-housing-complexes/
http://meraki.com/press-releases/2008/09/16/meraki-announces-free-public-wifi-available-in-80-of-san-francisco-neighborhoods/

I've been trying to do some work on the HInternet one off-and-on for a
while now. I'm really at the point where I need to spend some money
and time setting up some computers with Atheros cards to test with.
I'm still trying to hack at getting the Linux ath5k/mac80211 driver to
work on embedded Atheros radios.

I haven't done much thinking about the applications that could run
over such a network, but Wikipedia mirrors would be immediately
useful.