[Noisebridge-discuss] Tahoe-LAFS grid for Noisebridge and hackerspaces worldwide

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Jun 29 21:55:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 01:17:29PM -0700, Nathan wrote:
> I have at least one machine to donate as a storage host.  I'd prefer
> to set it up on the noisebridge premises (ie: bandwidth / power /
> physical space).  Are there guidelines for housing machines there?

There are no guidelines beyond "we generally don't host machines".  The
bandwidth at 2169 is pretty constrained; the only reason I'm proposing
to install Ben's donated machine at 2169 is so that we have a local
storage node and gateway / helper node for 2169-local users.

Secondarily, storage0 (my ad-hoc name for ben's donated machine) is
huge; it has several 1.5TB spindles.  Adding another node is unlikely to
double the 2169-located capacity. :)

If your machine is a rackmount or can be turned into one, I'd be
interested in getting it set up in a colo facility as a Noisebridge
donation.  There are a couple of possibilities; Dr Jesus has some
donated hardware in a colo somewhere in SFBA, see
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisecloud ; and there is a pretty good
deal available through Cernio for hardware located in MSP.  We already
have some donated resources at Cernio in SF, so adding geographic
redundancy for a storage grid would be awesome.

-andy