[Noisebridge-discuss] Vending Machine Update & Requests

Jared Dunne jareddunne at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:08:58 UTC 2011

First, I just wanted to update everyone on how things are going with
the vending machine.  It's been at Noisebridge for 2 months now, and
so far it has contributed $312 towards the NoiseBridge general funds.
Initially, we reinvested much of the revenues back towards getting it
stocked up full with delicious beverages.  Now that it's pretty much
full these days, even more of the revenues will become NoiseBridge
donations going forward.  I would not be surprised if in the near
future the machine was generating over $200/month in revenue for
NoiseBridge.

Here's the latest flavors available:
    * Slot 1: Coke (28)
    * Slot 2: Sprite (45)
    * Slot 3: Diet Coke (40)
    * Slot 4: Mountain Dew throwback (33)
    * Slot 5: Dr Pepper throwback (2)
    * Slot 6: Hansen's Mandarin Lime (6)
    * Slot 7: Pepsi (14) [Not popular -- to be replaced]
    * Slot 8: A&W Root Beer (18)

Coming Soon: Squirt will be the featured guest in the soon-to-be-empty
slot #5.  Vote with your dollars to decide if Squirt should replace
Sprite in the lineup.  Hansen's fans, don't fear, another restock is
coming if it's empty already.  More Coke, Diet Coke, and Root Beer are
also going to be stocked soon.

Secondly, we have a few requests for help or input around the vending machine.

The first request is for help about exploring if using Costco can help
stock the vending machine more easily and cheaply.  I do most of the
stocking with my car via Safeway trips, and have no problem continuing
doing so, but if we can do it better why not..  Right now, we've been
stocking at about $0.30-0.40/can for Coke/Dew/etc products and
$0.55/can for Hansen's via buying from Safeway when things are on
sale.  Is anyone a Costco member?  I don't even know what Costco
carries nor what the delivery/online order situation is, so please
chime in if you can help in providing that information/research.
Specifically, we need to know if they will deliver to NB and what the
costs and conditions might be.  Also, we need to know if they carry
Coke, Diet Coke, Mt Dew Throwback and/or Hansen's, since those are
very popular.

Next, in the same vein, if anyone has ideas on how we can get the
Hansen's unit cost down more that would be excellent.  Right now the
best I've seen is $3.99 for 8 at Safeway.  Rainbow gets them in cases
but only sells them by 6pk.  Target has good Throwback options but no
Hansen's that I've seen.

Another is a donation request for those paper coin roll things.  If
anyone has any rolls for Quarters, Nickels or Dimes they can provide,
please let me know and/or place them atop of the machine.  Mostly, the
Quarter rolls are needed most often, but some of the Nickel & Dime
rolls would also be welcomed.

And finally, we are curious if people would like to see a snack style
vending machine added to the space.  We ask since Gary, who sold us
the soda machine, told Nick that he has a snack machine available.  We
can get more information if there is interest.  It could be used for
actual snacks, circuit hacking kits, t-shirts, etc..  We could to pay
for the new machine by either docratically hoarding vending funds over
the next few months, or consensually use the money the machine has
already contributed to NB general funds.

For your convenience here's the official wiki page for the vending machine:
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Vending_machine

Jared & Nick-