[Noisebridge-discuss] Decent CAM Software?

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 08:16:52 UTC 2011

Does anyone know of some CAM software that doesn't suck giant monkey balls?
I am fed up with trying to compute G-code in my head when some free - $20
program should be able to do it for me waaaaay better. Here's what I want in
an ideal CAM package:

1) Something that can recognize that a lead-in I drew in inkscape actually
leads *into* the piece instead of cutting them all at the very end, or
something that can make its own lead ins (and none of that Vectric crap - it
can make lead ins, but it just puts them wherever, and it drops them right
on top of the stuff you want to save).

2) Something that can output to the simplest G-code possible - that for a
plasma cutter. Its got G00 and G01 modes. That's it...and *no z-axis*! Stop
trying to make it soooo freaking complex!

3) Something that can import a vector file

For the love of christ, I feel like I should become a CAM software
programmer just to put all the other shit I've found out there so far to
complete shame.

Thanks for any help peeps can give. Sorry if I sound snippy - pretty much
every electronic device I have broke all at the same time today, and I don't
have much booze in my apartment. Hopefully I'll feel better when I'm dressed
up as a cardinal running around the city for a pub crawl tomorrow.

Sean