[Noisebridge-discuss] Scheme meeting tomorrow, Sunday at 2pm

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sat Mar 26 21:39:50 UTC 2011

Hi all,

We'll be meeting again tomorrow, Sunday the 27th at 2pm in the Church
classroom to explore the scheme programming language and go over our
progress with the SICP book.

  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Schemers

Looking over my notes from our first meeting, I don't see much beyond
what Ryan has already mentioned: fun was had by all; let's try to read
SICP section 1.1.* and as much of 1.2.* as possible by next meeting;
DrScheme is a handy cross-platform graphical, interactive programming
environment; we're just getting started, so feel free to stop by!

BTW, I've been using Vim with the Chicken Scheme Interpreter to type
snippets of sample code (syntax highlighted) into a text file and run
them through the interpreter for evaluation. Seems to be working ok,
I can share my vimrc bits & scripts if anyone's interested.

Also, there was some discussion of Lisp Machines at our last meeting,
I just came across their main console fonts:

  http://www.eurogaran.com/downloads/lispmfont/
  (gets "No route to host" ... if it's still down tomorrow and
   anyone wants these I can pass them along at the meeting).

And an essay on the merits of using scheme for learning to program:

  http://www.trollope.org/scheme.html

Come scheme with us!

John

--