[Noisebridge-discuss] Contract work available for Linux sysadmin

Bruce Wolfe brucewolfe.sf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:40:32 UTC 2011

Hi! My queue is backed up and I need some help getting work done.
My name is Bruce Wolfe. I'm the CIO at http://MarinInstitute.org in San
Rafael.

I need someone reliable and experienced for regular who will work with us
over the long term. I use as much open source software as possible. (Still
can't get staff to start using Libre Office yet. ;-p )

I can provide an RFP if that is required but I find the work needed is more
specialized and immediate which doesn't require that process.

Requirements:

   - May work remotely but some office time in San Rafael as requested. (*We
   all drive so getting a ride and back is no problem*)
   - Excellent Linux/Mac skills
   - Excellent server skills and with all services (CentOS 5 servers at the
   moment)
   - Familiar with Router/DNS/DHCP/LDAP configuration (about to upgrade to
   Cisco 1600 series but could be something else)
   - Experienced with networking, file sharing/WebDAV, backup, monitoring,
   enterprise optimization, etc.
   - Experienced security skills
   - Experience with Quickbooks server on Linux (currently migrating from
   Windows server)
   - Has direct experience with DRDB failover configurations
   - Manage server/workstation updates/upgrades as requested
   - Familiar with installing and configuring virtual machines
   - Able to build iSCSI or similar NAS (not required but a thought since I
   have a box with that many bays)
   - Able to utilize and create custom scripts, if required.
   - Able to troubleshoot and provide CIO with tech support as needed
   - Be on-call when CIO is out of town, ill or on vacation

Marin Institute primarily uses Macintosh workstations/laptops and various
smartphones, and two dual-quad core, 12GB RAM, 1U servers sync'd using DRDB
running Zimbra Network Edition Collaboration System. I have various other
applications like a Jinzora jukebox and development sandbox server also
CentOS 5.

I need to migrate and sunset a Windows 2003 server (once and for all)There
are a few Windows Vista machines floating around which may have to stay
depending on Quickbooks. Possible to install a VM on Snow Leopard for this
particular purpose (Basecamp, Parallels, VMware, etc.)
*

Contractor Fee:* Negotiable, maximum contract $5k/year
*Notes:* Must sign I-990 form, and Marin Institute will not be your only
source of income. This is not a salaried job.*
*

*Please send either resume or business documentation to:*
BruceW at MarinInstitute.org
 *Organizational Description:* The Marin Institute is an alcohol industry
watchdog based in San Rafael, California. We envision communities free of
the alcohol industry’s negative influence and an alcohol industry that does
not harm the public’s health and safety. We fight to protect the public from
the impact of the alcohol industry’s negative practices. We monitor and
expose the alcohol industry’s harmful products, promotions and influence and
support the effort of communities to reject these damaging activities. Visit
MarinInstitute.org <http://www.marininstitute.org/> for more information.
Work-study for this position is available.

*The Marin Institute* does not discriminate against its employees or
applicants based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age,
medical condition, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual
orientation, or on any other impermissible basis.
.