[Noisebridge-discuss] unsecured networked cameras

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:13:43 UTC 2011

Yeah, it comes up from time to time. Here's the same stuff from 2005.
http://hellyeahbitch.com/2005/01/05/349/

<http://hellyeahbitch.com/2005/01/05/349/>I remember in college, our school
had an unsecured webcam pointed at the new library they were constructing.
They used the same cameras all over campus for the security system, but I
was never able to find the IP addresses of the other cams.

The one I did have access to though had all the default passwords set, so I
was able to log into everything, including the web based internal filesystem
browser. If I had known more about linux at the time, I'm sure I could have
SSH'd into it and installed some nifty network monitoring software or
something, that would have been fun.

There's a bunch of other search terms you can use to find these cameras, but
I looked again and didn't find much. A lot of them are "Axis" brand cameras
and some variations on that name come up with lots of the unsecured cameras.

Good ol internets.
-Taylor