[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership Q

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:56:52 UTC 2011

After many years of working in woodshops of various ilks (credibility) I'll
say that the following is particurally bad:
-exotic hardwoods (some are toxic)
-fire resistant/ treated lumber (toxic like !!! bad)
-MDF (not toxic, but makes a lot of dust)
-shitty plywood (shreds all over)

I would venture that if you're cutting regular pine and better quality ply
it should be fine. also, there's a shop vac that we can hook up to the table
saw for a simple system.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM, John Magolske <listmail at b79.net> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> * Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> [110305 12:37]:
> > ... I have an urgent need to use a table saw + bandsaw. Is it legit
> > to make use of the woodshop if I drop off my membership application,
> > but am not a confirmed member yet?
>
> You do not need to be a member to make use of the facilities at
> noisebridge, but I have some commentary regarding the table saw.
>
> First, what type of wood are you cutting? How much cutting?
>
> The tablesaw is IMO not appropriate for the space without a proper
> dust collection setup (which it lacks). Otherwise the whole space --
> not just the workshop -- gets filled with obnoxious dust. Especially
> when cutting particle board & other composite woods that include
> toxic glue as a binder. A reasonable dust collection setup would be
> something like a shop-vac with a HEPA filter connected to the saw in a
> way that captures the dust while the cut is in progress. The existing
> shop-vacs would not work very well for this as they don't catch the
> finer dust, pumping it out like a crop-duster. Also, I don't believe
> the table-saw has appropriate safety features like a blade-guard and
> something to prevent kick-back.
>
> Sorry if I come across like a wet blanket here, but I've experienced
> allergic reactions to excessive saw-dust in the space.
>
> I've been meaning to see about scraping some funds together to put
> some sort of dust collection system in place, maybe I'll get started
> on that this weekend. But regardless of the dust issue, a table-saw
> can be a fairly dangerous tool and I think people should be checked
> out on it before using it. I'm not sure if I'd be the person to do
> this though, as I'm not comfortable with having a table-saw in the
> space to begin with.
>
> John
>
> --
> John Magolske
> http://B79.net/contact

Ladycartoonist.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein