[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] My Hair Is On Fire - Current events that are shaping your rights as we speak

Evan Bangham ebangham at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 03:55:12 UTC 2011

Attention, you cannot 'hack' politics, you cannot hack political parties,
you cannot hack politicians, you cannot hack social issues, or fiscal
policy. Please for the love of everything holey, stop it with this over
application of the word 'hack'. If you do not write code, design circuits or
at the very least create mechanical devices, you are not a hacker. Thats
right, it's true, the jib is up, you're not a Non hacking hacker, not a anti
hacking hacker, a sub hacker, or anything else. You're not a hacker, plain
and simple.

If people keep on using the word so loosely it will soon be devoid of all
meaning and become, semantically speaking, a steaming dead carcass of the
word it once was. Soon in the not so distant future we'll be saying shit
like "I need to hack my underwear in the washing machine, because I forgot
hack my ass when I was on the toilet taking a hack."

I've had a lot of free time lately and I will start repeating this message
everytime I see the word, or any derivatives thereof applied in a way that
doesn't follow this simple definition.