[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] My Hair Is On Fire - Current events that are shaping your rights as we speak

Evan Bangham ebangham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 22:20:08 UTC 2011

So very true that the word has already been co-opted, from the likes of
Captain Crunch and all the original phreakers and hackers. This being the
case, the people who co-opted the term (those creating the systems being
broken into) shared the many of the same skills and worked in the same area
as the original hackers and phreakers. The point I'm trying to raise is that
not anyone can just throw the word around or call themselves a hacker.
Political activists may share some of the same skills and ideals as hackers,
but don't work within the same fields and are therefore overreaching if they
are describing themselves as hackers.