[Noisebridge-discuss] anyone interested in a javascript study group?

jenny w veganjenny at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 02:22:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Layla Mandella <laylamandella at gmail.com>wrote:

> Glen, it's better to use the three equal signs. that's what i learned from
> "the good parts." That way a string doesn't also equal a number, and other
> weird stuff like that.

Sounds like a good suggestion. I'd also suggest learning Jasmine or another
JavaScript testing framework ... With JavaScript especially, I find that
working test-first style (TDD/BDD) is really helpful. One of the big
benefits of writing tests before code, is that it makes you think about how
you can write your code in a way that can be easily tested, which often
makes for better code. Also, as Layla pointed out above, it's really easy in
JS to get confused by automatic type conversion (at least if you're coming
from another language that doesn't work this way). I like Jasmine a lot
because it's easy to use, especially for those of us who program in Ruby and
are used to using RSpec. There are other testing frameworks that are
popular, too, like the jQuery project's QUnit.

http://pivotal.github.com/jasmine/
http://docs.jquery.com/Qunit

Also, if anyone is interested in exercises, I can ask some of my colleagues
who've taught JS classes w/ Jasmine if they have any exercises that would be
helpful to share (we have various exercises on GitHub but I'm not sure how
easy they are to follow along with outside of the context of a class).

Jen-Mei