[Noisebridge-discuss] Open Source Software for Local Gov't, i'm a Rent Board Commissioner in Berkeley looking for help

Kurt Grutzmacher grutz at jingojango.net
Thu Mar 24 22:33:24 UTC 2011

Hey Asa,

I don't think this process could be best served with something like a google
spreadsheet. This would not be something you could simply pull off the shelf
software and integrate without a lot of customization -- and that's what SAG
is proposing. I think you could find a local development team in the SF Bay
area who would be be able to do the same thing SAG lists but with open
source software (Django, web2py, rails, jquery, postgresql, etc) however
they'd need to be contracted to write and support the result which could
come out to be less amounts of dough. At least it would be something that
could be picked up by another third party for support should it need to be.

As a resident of Berkeley I'd prefer see a more opened solution than the
"Business Process Model Leader because we say we are" route that SAG
recommends. The nearly $1M to provide publicly-accessible "Knowledge Base"
on the last page floored me! When did open government become so expensive?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and look forward to hearing about the new
proposal.

 Kurt Grutzmacher -=- grutz at jingojango.net