[Noisebridge-discuss] SFAI MA Collaborative installing Dead Drops in SF

Transit.stasis transit.stasis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 00:06:42 UTC 2011

We do not want to create any new holes in the building. If there are no existing holes or cracks we can install the Dead Drop using epoxy. We wouldn't mind installing inside, if that is better for you guys.

Kim

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 28, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Jack Perkins <jackaperkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since noisebridge is open to the public (basically) 24/7, it'd be
> almost as good if you just put one inside instead. This has the
> advantage of not requiring any permission.
>
> -Jack
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would agree that this is also a cool idea (although I think the only giant
>> question is if this would hose us on the lease?)
>>
>> Assuming that there isn't a big lease issue, then I would say...drill baby
>> drill (into a wall).
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Transit Stasis <transit.stasis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Noisebridge,
>>>

>>> I am writing on behalf of the students of the San Francisco Art Institute
>>> 2011 Master of Arts Collaborative. We are seeking to establish a partnership
>>> with Noisebridge to help make our project, Transit/Stasis: Negotiating
>>> Movement in the City, a success. Toward this goal, we would like to enact
>>> German artist, Aram Bartholl's project, 'Dead Drops' in various
>>> participating sites in San Francisco in early April 2011.
>>>
>>> We respectfully request support from Noisebridge by allowing us to install
>>> a 'Dead Drop' in an exterior wall of the building. We would like to install
>>> between April 8 and 20, 2011. We would be most honored to acknowledge
>>> Noisebridge as a partner on promotional materials related to this project.
>>>

>>> Transit/Stasis addresses how the movement of individuals through the urban
>>> environment is informed by cultural, economic and political systems (e.g.
>>> ability, borders, topography, psycho-geography, and social identity.). Aram
>>> Bartholl’s work creates a platform for both human movement in urban space
>>> and flows of information. His current project, ‘Dead Drops’ creates a
>>> physical representation of information mobility and human mobility in urban
>>> space playing with the central question of TRANSIT///STASIS: “How do we
>>> navigate systems of movement and how do systems of movement navigate us?”
>>>
>>> 'Dead Drops' involves the installation of flash hard drives into public
>>> spaces allowing the public to share files with one another outside of the
>>> Internet infrastructure. Somewhere in between interventionist art practices
>>> and fluxus art boxes, his project has been picked up by artists around the
>>> globe and has become decentralized in its execution. This project, along
>>> with his others, both engage popular trends in technology and culture while
>>> maintaining a salient critical force. More information on ‘Dead Drops’ is
>>> available at http://deaddrops.com/.
>>>

>>> I have already been in contact with Leif Ryge and received a positive
>>> response to the project. He suggested that I contact the whole group on the
>>> discussion board.
>>>
>>> I would be pleased to provide additional information and details about the
>>> project.  Please contact me at 979-966-2603 or kimlynncook at gmail.com at your
>>> convenience.  Thank you very much for your time and consideration of this