[Noisebridge-discuss] Petri dishes?

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Mar 29 02:42:16 UTC 2011

I have extras. You can buy them in bulk and get them real cheap. I converted
completely to pyrex (which is what I wanted anyhow) to save money. I
autoclave (==pressure cooker) and prepare my own medium with the pyrex ones
cuz I'm a cheap skate.

Here's a great site on how to use the Pressure Cooker for an autoclave:

http://www.science-projects.com/PressureCooker.htm

Here's the same guy on how to make beginner plates:

http://www.science-projects.com/NAplates.htm
http://www.science-projects.com/BeginnerPlates.htm

I purchased mine through several different companies. I get tons of catalogs
from them, but can't remember their names. There's the easier to remember
ones:
* Edmund Scientific (cheap, but the quality was pretty poor :(   And, many
were broken in the mail, I had to get more sent to me)
* Think Geek (there's a good bio kit that comes with plastic petri dishes...
but, it's not at all the bulk/price that you want).

I have about 10-15 plastic ones that I'd donate if anyone is interested. I
will probably keep 1-2 in case I ever need to ship something in a disposable
container. But, you can have the rest.

And, finally, for what it's worth, there's a pretty good link (from the
first site above) on how to make your own plates from agar agar, beef broth,
and plates that one has in the house -- not nearly as good as professional
medium, but it's a good household experiment for those who want to do it
"from scratch."

Cheers,

Glen

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyone have an idea on where I may be able to pick up a few polystyrene
> petri dishes for a reasonable price? Thanks in advance for the help!
>
> Sean

Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter
least.

-- Goethe