[Noisebridge-discuss] Need for allocation of Noisebridge funds

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:23:12 UTC 2011

Hey,

I've thought long and hard about this, and I'm positive we don't have one of
these. If you wish, I can provide specific examples making me draw this
conclusion offlist. However, take a look for yourself:

http://www.predicta.com/index.shtml

Now, before people draw conclusions, I want to make something very clear: in
order to help resolve the situation and really determine whether we don't
have one, I'm going to spend some of my own money and print up black and
white fliers demonstrating that we in fact do not have one. I'll distribute
them around Noisebridge in the wee hours this Thursday. This can help
identify any potential installations and let us determine the next steps. If
someone has a better idea (such as printing up color fliers), I'm totally
open to suggestions on good ways to handle the situation.

I went ahead and did some field research and determined the following
benefits of having these around:

   - Hackers often have difficulty keeping up with the latest trends because
   the fashion world moves so quickly. Because we're located in the heart of
   the Mission District, I fear that the hipster phenomenon may cause some
   members to feel like we're behind the times and obsolete. This will help
   people feel more welcome, and make the place more inviting to hipsters who
   might otherwise be turned away because of our lack of retro and hip.
   - We have to maintain a solid image to the outside world, especially
   given all the cool projects other hackerspaces are working on. We can't let
   people think we're slacking off, or losing our grip on what the hackerspace
   movement is all about.
   - And, last but not least, there might be someone at Noisebridge who is
   interested in taking one of these and turning it into a cool project.

I think it would be extremely excellent if we could allot funds for this,
but at the very least I'm willing to take on a small effort on my own part.
I figure, best case scenario, it helps establish that (1) we don't have one
of these (2) we need to do something about it. Worst case, people decide we
don't need one, and we all get to learn something.

aestetix