[Noisebridge-discuss] Compaq Concertos

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sat May 7 02:23:38 UTC 2011

OK, I am still thinking about them too.

I forgot I have a pcmcia memory SD card reader and some old cards, if the
card support is in the kernel they work with linux, might have to boot off a
floppy though. Also have possibly have one set of pen batteries (if they
fit).

I may go looking for a semi-modern boot floppy image (recent kernel).
Although need something trimmed down, also want pcmcia built in (not module)
and a rescue shell. We have these for mac 2.6.18, maybe 2.6.22, although
they have been approaching the limit.

Even if building a custom system for tablet-pen support, one needs a generic
starting point for native build.

Googling just now I found -

Picture, note date of mfg is 1992 and cpu is 486:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_Concerto
More
http://hawky.net/laptop.html
(amazing its browsing the ebay ad in the ebay ad = recursive)
http://www.pistolerapost2.com/viewing/concerto1.html

The project of getting the pen to work for this particular model,  for
2.6.20 kernel (broken):
http://code.google.com/p/cpqpen2/
older driver (works?) for 2.0 kernel (scroll down the page)
http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~pfeiffer/index_old.html#linux

Could it become a retro cult classic ?