[Noisebridge-discuss] Need quick tutor: UML Visualization of High OO Data modeling

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Sat May 7 18:39:22 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM, Glen Jarvis <glen at glenjarvis.com> wrote:

> As a programmer, I like having a 'picture' of the system that I'm working
> on.. It helps me file things in the right place.
>
> I inherited a project that is a bit hairy. For my own use, I need to learn
> to make UMLs so I can interpret this project. If someone has a software
> package  that they can tutor me on (on how to represent some of
> these hierarchal inheritance models) along with normal data ORM models, it'd
> be greatly appreciated. I may even get to pay a little bit.

Hands down the best UML tool for me is Enterprise Architect.  The UI may be
a bit dicey in parts, but it does reverse engineering and model driven
generation of code extremely well, to the point where you just point it at a
source directory and then have it create diagrams / code for you.  It's
around $100, but it's a real time saver on drudge work.

I've also got a couple of UML books you're free to borrow as well -- UML
Distilled is probably the best general reference, given that it's truly a
rare occasion when people haggle over the fine details of a UML diagram...

Will.