[Noisebridge-discuss] Solving the bedbugs problem at Noisebridge

Steve Dee mrdomino at gmail.com
Mon May 9 02:16:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM, aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM, Steve Dee <mrdomino at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For starters, I have no objections to filling the space with hazardous
>> chemicals for any reason. I would like to propose that we also take the
>> opportunity to investigate the efficacy of mercury as a bedbug deterrent.
>>
>> More seriously, I'd like more concrete proof that there are bedbugs in the
>> space. That is: a nonzero integer quantity of bedbugs located within the
>> confines of 2169 Mission St. This is not incompatible with engaging in a
>> no-holds-barred, Sherman-esque March to the bedbug Sea (which I in fact
>> heartily encourage), but we may have better luck finding bedbugs in the
>> space if we check for them prior to dropping our fissile matter on it.
>

> Responded offlist.
>

>> I propose that we get one of these:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Bed-Bug-SentryTM-Trap/dp/B004D5F5GW/ref=pd_sbs_ol_5
>>

> Ok, then do it! I said I was going to buy fogbombs myself and set them off
> Thursday at 4am. If anyone else wants to do something like this, there are a
> few days before Thursday, so you have plenty of time.

Shipped to 2169 Mission St. Package for Aestetix.

I think it's really important that we confirm the existence of bedbugs
before we go injudiciously fogbombing. If there *are* bedbugs, then
fogbombing isn't a realistic long-term solution to the problem: as soon as
someone comes and visits from an infested apartment, we're right back where
we started. Worse, if we fogbomb and reduce the number of bedbugs
significantly, it may take us longer to see evidence of infestation and take
further space-wide action.

We'll need more drastic action -- at minimum, we should probably have a
professional exterminator inspect the space and give us some advice. Getting
buy-in for that, and for things like getting rid of all our couches, is
going to be a lot easier if we can point to a bedbug found in the space
itself rather than just bedbugs correlated with the space.

I've had an infestation before, back in 2009. They're hell to get rid of,
even with a small number of well-organized people living together. (I was
worried that I had them out here for a little while too, but it turns out
I'm just allergic to my laundry detergent. Go figure.) For a space like
Noisebridge, it's going to be at best a huge months-long pain in the ass. I
want to be certain that we have them before we go down that road.