[Noisebridge-discuss] Solving the bedbugs problem at Noisebridge -- Furniture

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu May 12 05:39:27 UTC 2011

* Christina Olson <daravinne at gmail.com> [110510 18:17]:
> 3. Get rid of all the couches and chairs, and do not bring any more
> in. Replace them with furniture made specifically for noisebridge.
> John is a DIY furniture maker and he made the big center work table
> in the woodshop; he said he'd be willing to consider a furniture
> class where the class project is making bedbug-proof couches and
> chairs for noisebridge to replace the sketchy random furniture.
> I like this idea myself and would take part in it directly as a
> student, and at least one more person is already on board with it.

Building furniture appropriate for Noisbridge is an idea that's been
rattling around in my head for a while...maybe now's a good time to
get started on this since it seems more & more people are expressing
interest. As for "bedbug-proof" furniture, one thing I was thinking of
is some sort of couch that could be easily & thoroughly disassembled,
inspected, and cleaned. For example, a simple, open couch frame with
removable cushions that could be laundered.

Also, I think we could keep some of the existing furniture with some
mods...for example, stripping down a couch to its wooden frame,
painting the frame with a crack-sealing glossy paint, and making new
cushions to go on top (leaving it open & weird looking so it's easy to
inspect/clean).

I'll pull together some more thoughts around this and post something
to the list shortly.

John

--
John Magolske