[Noisebridge-discuss] Missing laptop followup

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue May 24 05:44:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Mark Cohen <markc at binaryfaith.com> wrote:

> I think the lessons here are that not all members or NB space users are on
> this list, and not everyone is honest.
>
> Until there are lockers with locks, I would probably recommend not storing
> anything in the space that you actually care about.

On the other hand, it's frequently such *weird* things that go. And of
course, so much stuff that stays around, defiantly.

My experience is, well, not quite the opposite: I left a fancy-schmancy hat
in a public bit of NB by mistake, it walked off, and then I asked around and
someone said oh X has it, and I asked for it back, and they returned it. It
would have been very different result if there hadn't been someone who
happened to be around who had spotted it, and hats weren't something you
fairly publicly balance on your head. Neither of the people involved read
nb-discuss.

I do think that people don't necessarily know that the membership shelves
are for stuff that you can't hack on, though I'm not saying that's all of
what happens.About the only part I can think of to improve without breaking
other things is the level of pan-community communication, but that is also
hard.

I appreciate people talking about this openly: I hope it doesn't make people
think that there are constantly people in stripy shirts and masks
half-inching the wheels off robots, but i do think we should keep track of
when it happens, just in case we see spikes or a change for the worse or
better.

d.