[Noisebridge-discuss] XY Combinator

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:28:51 UTC 2011

Interesting reactions. While everything everyone said is intelligent and I
generally agree with it, I think some people are taking this way too
seriously. Yes, this implies only men do startups, which is totally untrue.
Yes, this implies all smart men are datable, which is untrue. Yes, it
implies several things that are untrue, and hopefully we're all smart enough
to know that those things are untrue.

To me this is the standard "nerds can't get girls" joke, and I think its an
amusing and implementation. Especially since I follow the startup scene and
read about Y-Combinator every day. I also think its completely harmless.

All the arguments against it are arguments against politically incorrect
humor as a whole, and I disagree with the idea that every joke has to be
respectful of everybody. We need to be able to say things we think are funny
without having to make sure that every part of their content and everything
their content implies is completely factually accurate and fair. That would
be terrible. We need to be able to ignore some of the facts of a situation
and just laugh at it. I think that is a really important core human need.

That doesn't mean I think ignoring womens/mens/blacks/whites/etc's rights is
okay, I just think we need to hold our culture to a higher standard. We
shouldn't expect people's thoughts to be binary and unchanging. We should
expect people to be smart enough to know when something is a joke and when
it isn't. I understand that that's expecting a lot. People are bad at
filtering everything out, and there is some risk that it will get to their
head. But when it comes time to make real decisions, they should know what
thoughts are theirs and how they truly feel about something. I tell rape
jokes all the time (yes, you hate me now if you didn't already), but I also
fight strongly for women's rights and equality. I think rape is a terrible
terrible thing and its pervasiveness is completely unacceptable. But I still
appreciate ignoring all that stuff and just joking about it. Louis CK tells
a joke about raping Hitler that's hilarious. I joke a lot about racism, but
only because I think racism is so completely dumb that the people who still
are racist just seem comically out of touch to me (though the way they
behave obviously isn't comical).

My point is, I don't want to live in a society where you can't tell a
harmless "nerds can't get girls joke" without being accused of perpetuating
our rape culture and objectifying women. Those issues are incredibly
important, but finding them in a harmless joke like this, in my opinion, is
taking things way too far. (Its also probably an ineffective way of getting
your message out)

<Steals flame suit from interpetive arson>
-Taylor