[Noisebridge-discuss] I am interested in starting an optimization group at noisebridge (BetterBridge? TrollSearch?)

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sat May 28 02:03:45 UTC 2011

I am very much wanting the more doing / project as-a-group thing.

I probably won't make it to the ML meeting this coming week tho (most 3/4
weeks I am there)

There are two perspectives of what Machine Learning is, might call for lack
of better terms the Stanford perspective and the Carnegie-Mellon perspective
(from the location of the authors of two popular texts), or East and West if
you like.

I generally take the East side and Mike the west,  but also would like to
work on more general problems with a group, maybe  less Statistical Learning
... and / or problems which have orderings rather than actual or precise
numerical values (ordinal variables), so that optimization is possible even
if formulas cannot be given or numerical data is either too imprecise or
simply unavailable. [Like if you have labels like letter grades, but not
numerically based, how best to assign / design content ?]

Maybe applies to some problems in knowledge management, natural language /
linguistics problems, policy decision making (how to maximize job
satisfaction for instance), intelligence analysis.

Kinda short on specific problems, might have to Troll Search them.

By the way, what's the best way to produce a table of contents rather than
an index (given say a bunch of text scraped off the Web) ?