[Noisebridge-discuss] Come to Noisebridge today/night and this weekend!

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Nov 12 01:45:41 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Snail <snailtsunami at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, at the start of it we spent LOTS of time explaining how the
>> 311 isn't an emergency line, but an information line, and berating
>> people who thought it was.
>

> WAIT WAIT WAIT ... Does this mean I CAN call 311 for a good time? Or at
> least information in regards to having a good time at noisebridge?
> I think most people (including me) were just under the impression it is some
> sort of magical "summon noisebridge members" line to be used whenever drama
> is going down, but now that you say this I imagine this is the OPPOSITE of
> its intended purpose but happens to be what people use it for anyway.
>
> I seriously do want to know what 311 is for if it isn't the emergency drama
> hotline.

Yeah, it's supposed to be a way of calling a semi-random selection of
people if you don't see anyone around in the space who can help. When
you call it, you're dropped into a conference call, and a bunch of
other people are paged and urged to call into the conference call too.

Obviously that's useful for emergencies, but I don't think it's bad
that it gets used for non-emergencies too. The problem is that people
don't hang around to wait for people to call into the call, and
everyone else doesn't get an indication of what's going on, so it
feels very emergencyish...

I'm not sure what to do about that, but I didn't want Rob to feel bad
for calling it...

d.