[Noisebridge-discuss] parklet at noisebridge?

Duncan justduncan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 05:11:45 UTC 2011

This is one of those things that SOUNDS great at first, but really starts
to fray after some thought and reflection.

Valencia and Mission, although a block apart, are as different as night and
day.  Valencia has trendy shops, cafes, strolling foot traffic, underground
streetlamps, and stores generally stay in their boundaries.  It feels
cleaner, feels safer, and is an inviting place to read a book, people
watch, and hang out.  People are generally there because they choose to be
there. It is the current boundary of gentrification... which has steadily
moved east from Church Street, the demarcation line 20+ years ago.

Mission, is far different, and-- stepping back and thinking it through for
a second-- is quite different.  First, what is around us?  An SRO across
the street, a vacant building, and a Pentecostal Church that seems to be
visited by the cops more often than Jesus.  We a have a store downstairs
that spills out onto an already overcrowded sidewalk, a bus stop, and
people passed out on the sidewalk.  People are there because they have to
be-- either waiting for the bus, going on their way to do their business,
or because they live there and have no better place to be.  Look at
people's faces as they walk down it vs. Valencia; they say "I'm on my way,
I coming through" vs. "Let's linger and browse and check things out."
Mission is DIRTY, crowded and feels unsafe.  It's not a
cafe/parklet/strolling kind of street, it's urban chaos & congestion.  It's
buses, trucks (LOTS of trucks), and spit from the fire escape.

This would be an interesting experiment, particularly as it would pull
Noisebridge out from behind its gates and force it to be a more integral
part of the neighborhood and involved in the world around it.  However,
given location, location, location... I think it is an idea that is just a
little before it's time and one that deserves a bit more percolating than
rushing to apply in the next two weeks.  Has anyone even talked to the
grocery store downstairs?  If so or when they do, I hope they'll update
here.

Now a roof garden like Medjool or the public one at Crocker Plaza?
Absolutely!  :-)