[Noisebridge-discuss] home-made cosmetics RE:Maker political coalition party on Dec 8 in SF

Olya K krasnykh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 21:46:02 UTC 2011

Hi all,

As part of the Noisebridge's presence at the Engine Advocacy (
http://engineadvocacy.com/) event on Dec. 8 (see below), I wanted to do
some research/make some home-made toxin-free cosmetic products.

Considering how pretty much everything available in stores has yucky stuff
like (or traces of) formaldehyde, heavy metals, endocrine disrupting
substances (http://www.storyofstuff.org/movies-all/story-of-cosmetics/),
and there are no laws in place to prevent the use of these substances in
our everyday-use products, I thought it'd be cool to figure out ways to
make some basic things (like moisturizer/ shampoo/ etc) at home. This could
be a business idea too, obviously, as I don't see enough of these products
on the market (and/or its hard to figure out which products are ACTUALLY
clean, and which just CLAIM to be so -- only way to know is to go through
the ingredient list in its entirety). In any case, I'm kind of interested
in poking around to see what I can dig up/ make for the event. If anyone
wants to get on board, or has any experience with home-made cosmetics, let
me know! I'm a total newbie in this realm.

Stay dry!
Olya