[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Turkey Day

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Nov 23 23:56:34 UTC 2011

If only Noisebridge had a Raytheon Radarange, we could nuke that sucker.
(and other things)

  In 1947, Raytheon built the Radarange, the first microwave oven in the
world. It was almost 6 feet (1.8 m) tall, weighed 750 pounds (340 kg) and
cost close to $5,000. It was water-cooled, so also required built-in
plumbing.

http://listsoplenty.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Raytheon-Radarange-worlds-first-microwave-oven.jpg

While the wife of Raytheons CEO used the original Radarange oven (six feet
tall and weighing 600 lbs) in her kitchen for 30 years, everyone else
eventually climbed on board the microwave bandwagon with increasingly
smaller (and significantly less powerful) models; today, an estimated 90%
of American homes have one.

Start thawing that turkey now if you haven't already.