[Noisebridge-discuss] Thread about classrooms

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Nov 30 20:56:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Elijah Post wrote, On 2011-11-30 12:32:
>> My thinking was that classes with lots of equipment or about fabrication
>> (of which there are many) would be in church.
>
> Yes, but the 3D printers are used beyond just within classes.
> Additionally they take up space, inside of a classroom that's less
> people that can attend other classes that don't involve 3D printers.

I think that the problem that is being sought to be solved is that the
3D printers are in a high-traffic area, and therefore get futzed with
a lot, and people working on them get distracted, and the 3D printers
get misaligned by gawking people, so they are looking to move them
somewhere less high-traffic (somebody should step in if I got this
wrong).

This is actually a more general issue -- many people complain about
this, and it was one of those things that cropped up in the "why i
don't work on projects at NB" lists.

I'd be interested in quickly brainstorming how we could fix this, and
whether we actually *should* fix this. It may just be the nature of
the Noisebridge beast that we get a lot of foot-traffic and enquiries
and that stuff gets messed with.

Generally at points like this, people want to have a smaller, enclosed
space that they have some control over. As Rubin has pointed out
before, this creates new challenges in that those people often end up
somewhat proprietorial about their bit. I don't actually think that's
always bad -- it's good to be protective of say the kitchen, and it's
great that the 3D printers now have a gang working on them full-time.

One proposed solution for the 3D printers was to move them a bit
further out from the front of the space, out toward the SCOW area,
instead of Church/Turing.

Another solution was to have one of the 3D printers as a sacrificial
lamb at the front of the space, and put the others in some more
hidden-away area.

Finally, maybe rephrasing it as expanding the laser room to include a
3D printing section rather than invading Church might be a better way
of taking this. A row of desks under the laser printer room would take
a bit of church that's frequently set up with desks anyway, and is
kind of awkward to occupy for a class in there.

Personally, I'm happy for Church to be a bit multi-use as long as it
doesn't get taken over by other projects permanently, and Turing
remains completely a classroom.

d.