[Noisebridge-discuss] could you host my media wiki pages, 2-4 months?

Joshua Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 05:43:30 UTC 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Ronald Cotoni wrote:

> Huh.  ec2 instances are not backed up unless you write scripts to
> back them up to SOMEWHERE.  They are not salable unless you
> actually make them scalable (mysql replication, load balancing).
> It isn't the "cloud" like you think it is.  Also ec2 or ec2 clones
> are over priced for a single wiki.  www.lowendbox.com for
> significantly cheaper VPS servers (that is really all ec2 is by
> itself).   Also, I don't charge for hosting sites.  At all.  You
> should really take a look at the hosting options out there and
> evaluate them first hand before deciding for or against ec2 or
> really any other option there.

I suggest taking a look at nearlyfreespeech.net for hosting small,
low-traffic Web sites.  You only pay for the bandwidth and storage
that you actually use.  I switched from a $9/month hosting provider
earlier this year, and just finished transferring my domains from Dyn
today.  For a dynamic Web site under a single domain, the total cost
might be around $25/year.

Plus, I think you'll find that NFSN's principles are in tune with
Noisebridge's.

It's not a general VPS service, though -- you don't get to run
persistent processes like mod_perl, for example.

Josh