[Noisebridge-discuss] Come to Noisebridge today/night and this weekend!

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Sat Nov 12 06:00:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> From: gopiballava at gmail.com
>> Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 19:58:32 -0800
>> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Come to Noisebridge today/night and
>> this weekend!
>>
>> On Nov 11, 2011, at 17:45, "Danny O'Brien" <danny at spesh.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Yeah, it's supposed to be a way of calling a semi-random selection of
>> > people if you don't see anyone around in the space who can help. When
>> > you call it, you're dropped into a conference call, and a bunch of
>> > other people are paged and urged to call into the conference call too.
>>
>> Perhaps the system can prompt the caller to briefly summarize the issue
>> before connecting them?
>>
>> "I can't remember whether the anode is the short or long leg on an LED"
>> would make people unconcerned if the caller hung up.
>>
>> Conversely, "There's some strange guy with a chainsaw" as the message
>> would leave a different impression if the caller didn't respond.
>>
>> (I've never called or answered 311, so I'm just speculating)
>
> I've also never called NB 311, but I have often been the recipient of the
> eerie email, and there is no way to know what the call is about.
>
> Is there a way for there to be an outgoing message that lets the caller know
> that they have just entered a conference call, and that Noisebridge
> volunteers are being pages, and then urges the person to stay on the line
> (if it's possible, without it causing the caller to be in an
> uncomfortable position) to wait for NB people to enter the conference call?

That's pretty much exactly what happens -- I was thinking of
Gopiballava's idea of optionally recording a message too.

I think it might be handy to have a number that shows you what calling
311 actually sounds like, without triggering the all-hands message,
just so people can try it out without worrying that they'll have ninja
Noisebridgers absail into the space within a few minutes of messing
around...

d.

d.