[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [hackerspaces] HackerSpace Status API – rel0.11

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Thu Nov 24 13:56:02 UTC 2011

Hi All,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:22:11PM +0000, Mikael Vejdemo Johansson wrote:
> Also see countries with a country code far larger than just 2 digits; three digit codes are far from uncommon -- such outlandish places as Ireland (353), Portugal (352) and Iceland (354) have them; and for the US territories and the Carribeans, you'll even see 4-digit country codes: Bahamas (1242), Barbados (1246). Looking deeper, it seems that the Vatican can be argued to have a 5-digit countrycode: +39066.
>
> There _IS_ a standard here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.164
> Basically it allocates 15 digits to the aggregate country-code+number field.

I created the API specification mostly because I wanted to include arbitrary spaces
in my andriod app that currently only shows status for revspace.

By no means did i mean to restrict the phone number to N digits. It is a string,
so nothing is stopping people from putting whatever in it. If a phone number has
12 digits, put them in :) My preference (which is reverberated in the spec) is
to store a phone number starting by the +, followed by country code and then whatever
number of digits needed to get through to the space. No spaces or dashes or whatever,
just to make it uniform. I'll elaborate about that in the next version of the spec :)

- - gmc