[Noisebridge-discuss] Caution: Tiny Glass Shards on the Floor and Tables. Watch Out!

Brink of Complexity brink.0x3f at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:40:47 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'll apologize at the beginning here for both the delay in announcing and the problem possibly still existing, but as a public safety warning:

THERE MAY BE MANY (OR VERY MANY) TINY GLASS SHARDS ON AND AROUND THE TABLES, CHAIRS AND FLOOR FACING THE MAIN ENTRANCE, POSSIBLY EXTENDING FROM THE REPRAP TABLE OVER TO THE MEMBER SHELVES.  THIS MIGHT INCLUDE THE AREA NEAR THE FRONT TABLE AND BIKES AS WELL. PROCEED WITH CAUTION!! (AND SHOES, AND GLOVES IF NECESSARY) CHECK FOR GLASS BEFORE RESTING YOUR FOREARMS ON THE TABLE!

There was a man acting like he was cleaning it when I left (at around 6:45am), but I have some doubt remaining as to how that might have turned out.

In short, I left lividly pissed off that I was literally covered in glass from an exploding fluorescent light tube (which used to be mounted in one of the light mounts near the ceiling), and subsequently denied the opportunity to remove it from my person (neck, eyes, hands, hat, shirt, scarf, gloves, etc) and possessions that I was using on the table (laptop, electronics, bag, etc) as a first priority before the floor around me (duh, it's just going to fall down there)... alongside being told that I had an "attitude" about doing so.  Well, I can't speak to the logic of the person telling me that, but I'm pretty certain that it wasn't "attitude" that resulted in having glass down my shirt.

Anyway, due to the circumstances quickly escalating between myself and the completely rude and unapologetic person who had just covered me in toxic glass shards and then pushed me out of the way and called me a bitch when I insisted on removing them from myself, I left as quickly as I could, and didn't get the chance to help with the table and chairs. I have serious doubts that he cleaned any but the large pieces from the floor.

Also, I had just recently met at least 6 mice that appear to live under and around the shelving area, and I'm concerned that they might get tiny shards of glass in their feet.  The mice seemed nice enough.

If I lived nearby, I'd be back to give the whole area a scrub as soon as I'm done taking care of the bits of glass stuck in my skin.  But unfortunately, I don't live in the area at all (I'm only at Noisebridge once or twice a year), and I'm staying in Berkeley with a friend (which is why this message is coming so late -- the commute took a while, and so did the personal cleanup).

Please be careful!! Also, if anyone is concerned about the florescent lights using "excess" power, please check first for any servers or other computers, laptops, refrigerators, shop equipment, soldering irons, robots, monitors, etc, before considering doing things that could possibly result in injury to others just to save $1 before sunlight.  Seriously, if he had asked nicely, I would have given a $5 just to avoid conflict about it, in addition to the t-shirt I was planning to purchase before leaving later in the day. But alas, after this incident, I probably won't be back to NoiseBridge before heading out of town.

BE CAREFUL! IT'S POTENTIALLY POISON-Y POSSIBLY INVISIBLE TEENY TINY GLASS SHARDS!

- Brink.